Sunday, June 13, 2010


Featured This Month~
Sisters at The Carriage House
 For Sale on Ebay...Jan offers paintings on wild turkey feathers





 An Interview with Jan Young ~ artist, designer,and friend
Today I’m writing about Jan Young, a self-taught well known designer, artist, and friend from Vandalia Missouri. Her paintings and craft projects have found their way across the USA and in  the hands and hearts of creative souls worldwide.
Jan's business, Raggedy Jan to Primitive Ewe, took root in the small Midwestern town she resides, along with her partner and best friend..her sister Barb Betts.

These sisters are graced with a passion for turning old discarded items into collectable Primitive and Folk Art decor. They use things from Vintage rusted tin ware and wood items to tattered Antique Quilts and Vintage Coverlets ...and with added flair, restoring them back to life. None of us will forget Jan's generosity during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina ,when offering her work up for auction, as she did donating this hand painted skate .


They have sold finished handcrafted creations and artwork through local retail gift shops, craft fairs Ebay, Esty, and their new website.  Raggedy Jan to Primitive Ewe  was launched this year. Many of us have been the recipients  of Jan's talents through ornament and craft swaps over the years. Today, she joins our readers for a brief chat about her years in the creative arts.
  Q: What was your first job as a young woman?
A:My first job was back in 1969 BC (before computers) I was being trained as a teletype operator for a large insurance company..I will never forget my first day...I type in all the info and feeling pretty smug that I had finished my task in record time...when all of a sudden that machine started grinding and popping ..paper started flying out...I just knew it was either haunted or I had destroyed the communications dept...I was half way out the door before someone informed me that was normal...I was  receiving the response to my input...LOL
Q: How did you make the leap from day job to dream job? What were some of the difficult parts of this transition for you?
A:Silver Dollar City was just a few miles from where I lived in Branson..at that time it was known as an 1800s Craft Village..it was a seamless transition from doing an occasional show to a full time business. I have always been a   gypsy at heart and the shows gave me the opportunity to travel to areas I have only dreamed of. Back in the early 70s craft shows were very unique and lucrative..We would literally have customers waiting in line for blocks. The first years were magic..no imports and customers were so excited about the work.
Now I am giving my gypsy feet a rest..the business is now internet  based..which is a challenge  as I had not even touched a computer when I signed up for ebay...what was I thinking! Barb gave me a crash course and I have been learning ever since.
Q: Your work seems so positive, homey , and shows great detail ..it brings many appreciative comments. Do you ever tire of the endless hours it takes to create an item?
A: Never.. I LOVE what I do and I am so very blessed and grateful to able to make a living at it.


Q: Any tips for keeping a paint studio or work area organized, efficient, functional, and fun?
A: The workshop itself is very small..with 3 saws and 2 drill presses..the most important feature is the Craftmens Worktable..lots of storage for hand tools and many built in features such as clamps and guides.
The paintroom is total chaos..The best feature of the paintroom is the lighting and all the windows. To keep it fun..I have country music rocking in there all the time.
Q: Please give us some insight on how you spend a typical day . What other interests do you have ?


A: There is no such thing as a typical day here..this is what keeps everything so exciting! One day may be spent treasure hunting with my Mom and sister, the next could be cutting wood and sanding in the shop.I paint in the evenings and late into the night..many times I get so wrapped up in my work that it is the wee hours of the morning before I realize it.
As far as my other interests..I love to study the Bible, Civil War history and on-line jig saw puzzles..no more lost pieces! Last, but certainly not least..chatting on line with my friends and customers.


Q: Where do you find the inspiration for your world globe, and other creations?
A:My sister Barb is a huge inspiration for me...she comes up with some very unique ideas.The first globe was a scene of Santa and his sleigh and then it just evolved into the Halloween story Barb and I have created about the accident prone little witch...Bippity. Her cat Boo and the Boppity the crow.

Q:Are they inspired by books of your childhood, works of other artists, family? etc..

A:I get inspiration from all of the above..but alot comes from my wonderful customers..many friends and customers email with the best ideas!
Q: What is the most rewarding aspect of your artwork and crafts ?
A: I had to really give this a lot of thought..I love being close to my family, it is a dream job..but bottom line..it comes down to all the wonderful people that have touched my life through craft shows and the internet..After well over 30 years in this business, the thing I appreciate the most is all the lifelong friends I have met along the way.
Q: Do you have any advice for people who want to take their home-based crafts business to the next level?
A: I would have to answer that you must treat it like a business and not a hobby. You must have the  discipline to put in the hours required and learn the many tasks such as marketing,bookwork etc.




Q: Any advice for marketing products on the Web?
A: We hired an expert to optimize our website for the SEO..that was money well spent.
Barbs life~size Old World Santa made form Vintage fabrics
Q: Can you tell our readers what keeps you fresh, inspired, and full of creative ideas? Tell us your secret!
A: Faith..Family and Friends adds so much joy to my life. Having a crazy sense of humor is a plus also.


Q:What are your favorite TV shows, books, past times etc.
A:I like to watch   Documentaries..Country Music Videos and Historical and Western Movies.
I love to read, right now I am reading The Left Behind series..
My favorite past time is playing with my dog and chatting on phone or the internet.



Q:Web and auction sites we can see your work at?
Web and auction sites we can see their work


RaggedyJan to Primitive Ewe

ebay raggedyjan13

ebay store Raggedy Jan to Primitive Ewe

Barbs ebay store Somewhere Back in time.

Barb currently has her creations listed with ebay seller dubbie-du in combination with the store Somewhere back in time. Also you will find them on the Web.










Thanks Jan and Barb!!
from the Moderators  of the Keeping Room